More than 200,000 people are expected to descend on Washington D.C. for the Women’s March on Washington, January 21, 2017; hundreds of thousands more will participate in nearly 100 planned “Sister Marches” all over the country. In addition, in a show of unity, more than 30 other countries have planned similar support marches. For some, it’s a protest. For others, it’s a way to state a cause. And, for many others, it’s a way to use their voices in protest, frustration, unity, collaboration, etc. They will do so with passion, intent and purpose. Not since the Civil Rights Era has the United States seen this type of activism and involvement. Here are just a few of the many beautiful and disparate voices which will merge as a collaborative cacophony on that day, including that of original organizer, Hawaiian attorney and grandmother, Theresa Shook, whose casual facebook post and comment became an impassioned call-to-action, which has ignited and awakened a firestorm in (nearly) everyone.
Hear the words of more than one dozen activists from across the country. This week on Sprouts.
Produced by Mary Lou Cook, WESU, Middletown, CT
Co-Producer & Host Cyma Shapiro, WESU, Middletown, CT
Additional Segments by Pacifica Network Director Greta Anderson
Music by: Vicki Elson, sung by the Mother Women Group Facilitators, Holyoke, MA
Warm wishes from your friends at WESU for a happy and healthy New Year!Stay tuned and stay strong in 2017!
on Saturday, November 5th, and WESU Middletown wants to get you in the crowd with complimentary tickets!
There are two ways to win! First, you can tune in live to Homegrown withRobbie on Thursday, November 3rd at 5:05 PM.
Second, you can participate in our online giveaway by following the link below!
WESU Board Meeting — 11/01/16
- Was awesome! We raised over $300. Great success, thank you Beth + Wyatt for all the organizing!
- Should we make more permanent labels for the objects around the station? Zazie is on it
- Mailing all went out on Thursday night and we are starting to get more money coming in
- Tabling in Usdan with shirts next week–Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. Wyatt will make a spreadsheet for that (Beth will check out WesCard stuff too)
- Do we want a newsletter every week to send out board emails and reduce the number we send out?
- This Sunday!
- Bringing up pledge drive goals + harassment policy updates
- We have a serious staff meeting attendance problem–should send out a staff email to people (Julia)
- Things are going well–still looking for people for Tips & Tricks. Looks like Abby, Babe, and Bryan could help out
- Sexual harassment policy went well at training, most people were pretty receptive to this
- Written exam given November 13th–will draft some questions for that
- Listserv is all updated now
- Maybe people’s emails have started going to spam?
- Spinitron calendar still isn’t looking quite right–but Babe says he went through and updated it all–he will check again
- No update on the app
- Someone in training is revamping the WESU website on Friday morning–avoid posts on Friday morning
Music New Releases:
- Finding a list for exemptions
- Checking on this could be a service hour activity
- Announce this to the staff again
Radio Free America:
- Potentially a free alternative to StreamRewind–looking into this
- Wyatt and Ben G will work on this soon
- In the midst of writing the press release–might hold off on writing it
- Ben G and Abby will also write a follow-up email
- Reaching out to different music groups on campus? Beth will think about reaching out to other groups for pledge drive
- Press release for the fundraising dinner needed
- Promo made by Lara
- Not enough tickets sold yet–promotion through press release by Beth!
- We could poster around Middletown–Beth can make this and take care of it
- Bryan will reach out to the CFA about putting images up on the monitors
- Ticket giveaways don’t seem to be getting much interest–bring this up at the staff meeting to see if there’s interest
- Looking into music exemptions but it isn’t on the continuing shows thing–we can fix this for next semester’s application
- Budget approved! More buttons!
- It’s Helly’s birthday! Happy birthday!
- More people are interested in helping out and joining
- Blog has been updated yay!
WESU Middletown, Manic Productions, and The Outer Space / The Ballroom want to get our listeners to where the fresh and tasty beats go wild! !!! (Chkchkchk) is coming to The Ballroom on Monday, November 7th.
To win, you can participate in our online giveaway below!
WESU Middletown, Manic Productions, and College Street Music Hall are joining up again to send our listeners to another great concert! Reel Big Fish and their Turn the Radio Off’ 20th’s Anniversary Tour is coming to College Street Music Hall on Sunday, November 13th, 216 with guests MASKED INTRUDER and Stacked Like Pancakes.
There are two ways to win! First, you can tune in live to Undercover on Thursday, October 27th at 10:00 PM.
Second, you can participate in our online giveaway below!
WESU Board Meeting — 10/26/16
- Beth figured out coffee + FB event (coffee from RD)
- Wyatt making a poster to send out
- Still looking for people at 3pm! Board members sign up
- We should have T-shirts by then too–yay! We are doing it with Sandbox Arts
- Lara will make some buttons on Friday (button party, come one come all)
- We are on the online schedule
- Make sure we have a strong social media presence–we are inviting the trainees
- We need to send out an all-staff email about this (Wyatt or Beth will do this)
- Lara will make some promos
- Going great! Bryan will keep working on outreach
Sexual Harassment Policy:
- Reviewing policy that Zazie and Ben drafted
- Julia will go over this at training this week
- Will email to DC to look over–Ben M and CL also going to meet with DC
- Must add discrimination clause
- It’s been going good!
- November 13th will be Tips & Tricks, sending out email soon
- People are not emailing Hadley about coverage so we don’t know who to contact when things go wrong on air! We need to speak to the staff about this at the next meeting
- Many people are consistently late to their shows
- Spinitron playlists aren’t really showing up
- Events Director email still isn’t working (ask Ben M about it)
- Do we need another work study student?
- Staff meeting turnout is pretty awful
- Pledge drive is going very slowly–more staff members need to be involved with this
- Email to go out to all staff from Abby
Pledge Drive Concert:
- Really doesn’t seem likely for this semester–we should do this to coincidence with the spring pledge drive
- Can brainstorm people to bring from outside Wesleyan