Board Meeting Notes — 9/20/16

Pledge Drive:

— Hoping to start the pledge drive not this week, but the week after!

— Let’s talk about T-shirt ideas: Michelle made an image for the record fair that maybe would work. She will send to us tonight. T-shirt designs for next week! Cloie potentially has a design?

— Beth will work on a press release for the pledge drive

— We will discuss this more next weekend

— All board members make your promos!

Emails/Keys:

— Problem with the MD email but Abby can fix that!

— Michelle still doesn’t have access to the gmail account

Disciplinary Action:

— B came in and shared his side of the story regarding sexual harassment allegations

— Abby laying out the timeline of events for all of this (starting with comments during the summer season). Complaints from three different DJs

— We clearly need an easier complaint system

— Need to talk to Ben M before making a decision–in the meantime, suspending his show until then

— Abby + Ben will write a short thing of everything that we know

— Must rework this disciplinary system

— Sending out an email to B tonight

— Beth also started a google doc to talk about today + future policy moving forward

Record Fair:

— Must sent out a staff email ASAP

— Asking for DJ volunteers–they need to bring their own records!

— Get a table at Usdan for the day of the record fair–Michelle will book this

WESU App:

– Follow up with WesHack people

Board Meeting Notes — 9/13/16

Abby:
— Chris & Cloie–what we gonna do?

— Set up individual meeting times–either W 12:30-2:30, F 11-1 or 3-5

— Getting a head start on the pledge drive

— Theme? T-shirt design, PSAs, me & Bens (& Beth) should prolly write stuff

— WESU app–who wants to follow-up on this?

— SoundCloud acct–who wants to manage this, create some standards, etc.?

Program:
– Program should be going next week! We do not have anything for the other side right now. If anyone has anything in the next week, we’ll add it–if not, we can just print one-sided.

DB:
– DB will be shooting a staff photo next weekend. He is proposing the idea of holding something that resembles their radio shows. He is talking about individual pictures that we could maybe add to the website. Maybe adding staff bios to the website? We will send an email out about this

Beth:
– Michelle might be having a problem getting into the email (we should ask her?) Will send everyone the WordPress contact info and make everyone a FB admin. Also ask Ben M for how to access the HTML wordpress stuff!

– She will post on the website/FB page about the new fall season

– Press release is written, has edits, and she will send it out to the new group of people

Keys:
– Everyone put in requests!

Julia:
– Reducing service hours? It might be a waste of time for everyone. Bryan proposes that we just make a resolution this season to credit everyone 2 service hours to test it out this semester.

– Should trainees still do four hours? We could assign specific service hours to trainees rather than just encouraging it. We could still trainees to a concrete list of stuff.

– Last semester, a lot of people did not do their service hours or it just wasn’t recorded.

– Coming to an agreement that reducing the service hours to 2 for the semester and giving specific tasks for trainees and making them do 4.

Bryan:
– Fundraising dinner in Middletown (might be a 21+ event unfortunately–let’s shoot for November!) Maybe we could shoot for a rooftop event/block party event in the spring.

– Formalized relationships with local businesses. Bryan will send out an email shortly. Getting businesses to donate for either tax exemption or underwriting (bare minimum being $50)

– Promotion of local non-profit organizations

– Status of WESU ticket give-aways. Wants to work with Manic Productions, etc. and set up a formal process as opposed to just DJs deciding for themselves. We could do this on the website or FB page

– We need to create an email for this position

Argus Collaborations:
– Beth is meeting with the Argus soon. It would be really cool to have a column. We can put in ads to the Argus (record fair/spring press release). We are their neighbors and should totally communicate with them.

Lara:
– This is not production related, but it’s the 10 yr anniversary of MYRP in the Spring, can we do a MYRP T-shirt this year? Ideally with drawings by the kids! More pledge-drive MYRP themed stuff

– Also – is new Audition on every computer? Didn’t see in Studio B

Record fair:
– Michelle isn’t here but we need to talk through all this stuff (making a press release/PSA/promo stuff)

– Michelle should reserve the table

Julia:
– Student group fair from 1-5pm! Everyone sign up! Julia will be in contact with Michelle about setting all this up

Training info session on Sunday, Sept 18? Does that day work for Abby/Ben G?
Starting training on Thursday, Sept. 29 @7pm and Sunday Oct. 2 @ 3pm

Pledge drive:
– We are trying to start this earlier

– We should start making promos for this–everyone make a promo! Everyone have a promo made for 9/27

– Lara already has a huge list of promos that they can play

– Think about a T-shirt design for all this

– What about the retro baby ideas? Would this sell?

– We should figure this out next week

Board Meeting Notes — 9/6/16

Welcome new and old board members!

Board Hours (work in progress)

Monday: Beth, Michelle

Tuesday: Lara, Zazie

Wednesday: Babe, Julia

Thursday: Ben, Abby

Friday: Chris

Unknown: Helly & Adam

  • Hopefully starting this week if you are able to

Email:

  • Sending out the word doc to all board members

Keys:

Board Meeting Time:

  • Tuesday @ 5pm?
  • It works!!! Yay!

Individual Board Meetings:

  • Setting up individual meetings in Usdan
  • 10 minutes or whatever to discuss long term goals
  • Hopefully the week of September 12th

Summer Board:

  • No real cohesive summer board this year, but each individual member (Cloie, Chris, and Bryan) was super great–thank you all so much!!!
  • Maybe we should try having a meeting at the beginning and end of the summer next time and make it a little more official? But it did work well as a concept this time

Fall Program:

  • The fall program is almost done!
  • There is one half hour (Monday, 7:30-8pm) is open–do we want to offer it to MB? Public affairs? Ben M and Chris will figure it out
  • Hoping to get the program guide going out soon (Cloie is going to work on designing it)–she thinks she can do it in about a week or two
  • We can solicit designs from staff members too–looking for a two-sided program guide
  • Remind the staff about the start of the fall program via email

Student Activities Fair/Michelle:

  • Michelle will register for the event
  • Also she will create a google doc for the schedule

StreamRewind & Spinitron Calendar/Babe:

  • Babe will update the calendar
  • Chris/Ben M will add people as admin

PR/Press Release:

  • Beth will write a press release ready to go out about the new fall season
  • Spread that through social media

Lara/Production:

  • Update with new PSAs/promos
  • We have a new Audition!

Training/Service Hours/Julia:

  • Open to suggestions about training
  • Do we need to have all trainees do required service hours?
  • Interest meeting after getting the sign-ups

Music Director’s Blog:

  • Do we want to bring this back? Maybe just even posting the charts!
  • But also picture of NS
  • People can come in and review new music too
  • Getting people to come and help with MD stuff
  • Consistency with sub-MDs

Record Fair/Michelle:

  • We are only a month away from the record fair–October 9th! 11-4pm
  • Michelle should collaborate with other board members on this
  • We need a post on our website–also a flyer would be great
  • Wesleying would be great. What about The Argus?
  • Let’s get an on-air announcement going (Lara?)
  • Paid early bird admission from 10-11?
  • We need to get DJs to work the event (and they need to bring their own records!!!)

Board Agenda:

  • Collaborative google doc so that this is all more of a discussion!

There is a staff meeting THIS SUNDAY @ 6PM!

“All About:” An Interview with ESQUE’s Jose Luis Sanchez

IMG_7218

This Wednesday, “All About” with Zazie & Emily interviewed Jose Luis Sanchez about ESQUE, an annual queer burlesque show on Wesleyan University’s campus! The show will be running Thursday, April 14th till Saturday, April 16th from 9-11pm if you are interested in attending.

Listen to the fantastic interview on our archives here!
“All About” airs every 2nd and 4th Wednesday of the month from 6-6:30PM.
Listen to WESU live at 88.1FM or online on our website.

Open House!

wesu2015sticker

We are having an Open House for any interested students or community members this Friday from 12pm-3pm! Come on down to the station to take a look at all of our studios (we have three newly renovated studios!!!), check out our huge music library, and talk to WESU staff members and DJs about the station and about how you can get involved!

Join the Facebook event page here. WESU is located at 45 Broad Street in Middletown, CT. Invite your friends! We can’t wait to see you there!

WESU’s 2016 Spring Record Fair!

sp14

Are you a record collector? Looking for some cheap and rare records and CDs? Come check out our annual Spring Record Fair this April! You’ll find dozens of fantastic vendors from across the greater Connecticut area sharing their collections. There will be hundreds of records, CDs, posters, T-shirts, and more on sale. WESU DJs will also be spinning vinyl live, so come support local freeform radio with the station!

The record fair will take place on Sunday, April 10th from 11am-4pm in Beckham Hall at 55 Wyllys Avenue, Middletown CT. Beckham Hall is located on the Wesleyan Campus in Middletown. Come support the station and invite your friends!