Board Notes from 9/3
General Manager: Ben
Vice President: Virgil
Program Manager: Rick
Public Affairs: Daniel
Music Director: Ethan and Reta
Public Relations: Danielle
Events Coordinator: Isabelle
Meetings will be held Tuesday at 5pm
Next year is our 75th year, start brainstorming ideas!
- Start Brainstorming!
- EKM: Try and listen to all of the shows, and getting to know all of the staff members
- HR: Peer review program?
- DP: Up our PR get the word out, 75th!
- Isabelle: Big event, 75th!
Board hours (4-6pm except when noted)
- Monday: Virgil & Isabelle
- Tuesday: Mary & Daniel (3-5pm)
- Wednesday: Hanna & Danielle
- Thursday: Reta, Ethan & Nate
- Friday: Eliza (2-4pm) & Hannah
- Check messages on phone board AND studio
- Check email, everyone should chip in!
- Empty trash/recycling
- Download Free Speech Radio News
- go online to soundcloud.com/fsrn or fsrn.org posted by 5pm
- make sure it is today’s broadcast
- right-click, save link as, use correct location, name as “FSRN~0” and do replace
- make sure it downloads completely
- check the logs in studio a
- check the inconsistencies so we can be on top of what’s happening in the studio
- let eliza know about the logs
- check the Facebook
- check on the studio reservation boards
- email board with staff meeting items
- Fall Program Starts 9/9 @ 4pm (remind in email too)
- program done! thanks hannah!
- program guide is being designed, should be at printer soon
- need to get online program @ spinitron/streamrewind updates by 9/9:
- who will update?:
- stream/rewind needs weekly maintenance
- nate will do it!
- spinitron policed by MDs
- Hannah will send final updates of program, email vote TONIGHT, then email the staff
Update website contact info
- VT will
- will also update board cellphones
- Year will be over before you know it
- in order to accomplish all on our plate, we need to work efficiently and use our (staff) resources wisely.
- share your goals!
- Read your job description get familiar with your responsibilities.
- make an appt with Ben, learn about the station/your position, encouraged
Work study position (may help with some board hrs stuff)
- administrative tasks!
- automated spinitron entry!
- pledge processing!
- 2 candidates – One clearly had more admin experience on resume.
- ben spoke with both, recommends the more experienced one, both are good candidates
- must still do service hours in addition to paid work
delegate, get your work done
- staff Recruitment?
- student activities fair
- next friday
- open house is in program
- Record fair 10/12/13
- wheels are beginning to turn
- Update online history
- 75th anniversary (starts 2nd semester thru end of 2014, map out timeline)
- logo competition
- Get Film project rolling, for our 81st anniversary
- concerts, gala event, Press?
- our college radio legacy!
Board Notes from 9/10
Board Notes from 9/17
- Attendance Problems
- Will get a task, calendaring
- Will get a task, an hour shelving
- TM just late
- VBGT will watch
- MK no email, no response so far
- Suspension of one week
- Responsible for finding a replacement
start in two weeks, 0ctober 6th
Ping will email, come up with cirriculum
Facebook post, no ads
- Rec fair poster is designed now we need to get it up and around both physically and online. Also need recorded promos with the same quickness!!
- who will copy posters? (Izzy)
- who will send them to special Middletown guy?
- who will email asking for volunteers to poster?
- who will put them up online? (Danielle…..FB post/webpage)
- who will record promos? (Hanna)
- Nov. 1–homecoming event, Mary will order cupcakes
- Promos for shows – we still need them!
- send a staff reminder?
- voted to make it a service hour, none opposed, passed!
- Budget planning to get request together to present for Monday 9/30 if not too late. Otherwise next Monday (Virgil)
- who needs to go to the SBC? What time?
- will sign up for next week
- 75th advertising
- will send out recruitment email
- Shirt Design
- DP will take the lead!
- Fall design?
- Any issues? Any update on Program? If no word from Brenna we need to go to plan B.
- Hannah will text Brenna
- need temp staff status – to produce the show (Dan update on this)
- they need our help, come into our fold
- will go through training
- precedent for associate status
- Board reluctantly approves unanimously
- Adding Harper to the list
- Not 75th Anniversary until 2014 Ben M removed posts on FB saying we are currently in our 75th year.
- Promotions: need a web and FB post about new season schedule. (Danielle)
- Middletown Day
- Change studio code?
- Nate and ben will look into it
- College Radio Day is 10/1/13 – how to participate? or not?
- CMJ – We get an additional (3rd) pass who’s going?
- absence/automation policy – clear up in code
- music money from last year
- $70 at Redscroll for the taking! MD field trip?
- @wesu emails – let BM know if you want them forwarded – should we create gmail accounts for all? Can they be sent from Gmail to look like our @wesufm.org accounts?
- Nate is on it
- CT Food not bombs leader to campus? Via mike DeRosa
Board Notes from 9/24 by DPOPE
- Download FSRN
- Shout-outs! Thank you everyone for doing board hour duties!!
- Make sure you’re keeping up with things we discussed at meetings!
- Will follow up specifically via email
- No VT today he is at SBC repping WESU for preliminary meeting. Someone else needs to take notes.
- Thanks DP!
- Record fair promo is great – thanks to HB- Ben M converted it to mp3 (was Wav) and saved to proper promo locations in air studio and for Rick. To do: She should send an all staff email asking every DJ to play the promo during every show through the event.
- Whey Station coming!!
- Flyer Need to print flyers and get them around campus, downtown, and mail record fair mailing list
- Isabelle: start flyer-ing? Enlist flyer-ers (service hours!)
- Downtown Flyerman!
- Other Record Fair stuff:
- Need more volunteers. Isabelle will follow up. Also, DJs.
- Anyone can email Izzy to volunteer
- Program guide design thanks VT for picking up slack. He and Ben M are working details outs
- Any other programming issues? Recent no shows JB and MK – both sent all staff emails less than 24 hrs in advance… can we follow up with them?
- MK has been emailed/warned by Eliza with details on procedure.
- She then sent all-staff email to find fill-in for show she was suspended for
- Maybe have her come in and explain? Not obligatory, assess situation next week
- JB has been emailed.
- Also, get rid of Al Jazeera promos and other old show promos.
- FREE SPEECH NEWS RADIO
- Money issues. May pick up other Pacifica show.
- Perhaps a podcast show??
- CMJ who’s the 3rd person that is going? Send info to Ben so he can register
- Possibly DW. Perhaps we should have emailed all staff… but we need to register soon, and Ben M. seems on board
- Ben M had great conversation with Call from Howard Williams Owner of WES AM from 1946-1948 (AM predecessor to WESU). Howard is going to mail us a written narrative of WES during that period.
- Training – EKM proposed schedule?
- -also, updated section on automation?
- No schedule yet, because of issues with scheduling meetings.
- But WILL START Sunday, Oct. 6th
- Break for Fall Break (Sunday 20th wouldn’t happen, otherwise weekly)
- Two options? Option for Thursday as well? (6-7pm?)
- Training people to use the phone coupler?
- Automation discrepancy in training manual online?
- Emails, forwarding them to Wesleyan email?
- General idea: set up WESU gmails, have @wesufm.org, but CAN have them routed to your other email
- Other discipline issues/updates? -did we follow up with everyone from last week?
- Never got a response from CGO, HM. It was recent, so we will give them a bit more time.
- People getting back to EKM about missing WESU board meeting.
- college radio day 10/1/13 – any more info on this? Mary registered us, will email staff/Hanna/Rick if/when they send “College Radio Day sweepers and IDs”
Did anyone have a food not bombs contact that might want to bring speaker to Wesleyan? (follow up from last week)
- Supposedly will cause increased listenership!
- Is there a promo?
- Food Not Bombs—perhaps one Josh Krugman can help to spearhead this efforts
- Argus News Radio problem (DP)
- -Did someone let Aaron know of the conditions we voted on last week?
- Perhaps HF? She has done Argus News Radio.
- HF’s involvement at the station? (is posting playlists to Tumblr against station rules….also most productive way for her to get involved in the station?)
- -ARGUS NEWS RADIO INSTEAD????
- She has done it before. CONTACT HF? (Daniel)
- Some stragglers not logging Spinitron?
- Perhaps get some volunteers, logging volunteer hours, helping them figure it out
- Also ask H about this?
- Hard Nips at Wesleyan-do we want them to come? When? Any updates about what happened last year with them?
- *any other updates?
- They are supposedly to get back to Izzy
- Show on campus?
- Board info in Studio A is outdated!
- HB will get that taken care of tomorrow!