Board Meeting Notes 04-02-13

RECORD FAIR – Food Trucks? Lee is going to be busy at 4, but we can get two university vans, need certified van drivers over 20. Jesse is already certified. Email staff for volunteers. Mickey will get back to us on other help needed.
Hang up the posters!
Play the promos!
Downtown flyer-ing, contact Quentin. Also a good service opportunity.
Get together a press release for local blogs.
Update will go out to the listserv with all the different service hour opportunities.
Lee has sold more tables than we have, we need 5 more tables.

Hartford Advocate – We have $350 for an ad, good opportunity to solicit donations, possibly give them some underwriting in exchange for a second ad.
Cathy sent us a nice note.

We need to include a policy on reporting neglect/abuse of children into our Code of Conduct, and those working directly with kids need to go through brief training on it.

Staff Meeting on Sunday – seems like generally people want the meeting time to remain at 6.
We talk about the Code of Conduct briefly.
Let people know about upcoming board elections, what the various positions entail, and that they need to put a letter of intent on the bulletin board.

WesFest Activities Fair – April 19th 11 am – 2 pm, can’t play any music, need a sign and maybe some stickers to give away, sign in sheet. Ask for volunteers to do hour long shifts. Cap’n Kohen will ko-ordinate.

 

Tunein – Ben M & Ben N – Meeting of the Bens. They have cool tools for analyzing listenership, give us many new unique listeners. Are happy to ad a donate now button to our stream, and are willing to work with us on an announcement soliciting donations. Made clear that we need to stay renegade, they are cool with this. Could be a really good revenue stream for us.

 

Training -  Adam W has the email list, got people for the Sunday training slot.

EriQ is DJ of the month.

Office of Community Service wants a blurb about what our group does by next Tuesday for promotion.

Pledge Drive – Ben has many punny ideas. BRAINSTORM. Find ex-DJs and board members on facebook for monies. Working with DJs to set appropriate personal fundraising goals.

Ice Cream Social after last staff meeting. Dave could take an awesome group photo, for postertity.
Board organized live show, bringing on old DJs, professors, musical acts?
Someone cool as a replacement Carl K.
Recognize people who have been doing the show for super long, most service hours, best attendance, etc. Could be a service hour!

Board Meeting Notes 03-26-12

Happy Spring!

Mickey parades all of his exploits from SXSW: got spots/Station ID from Mac D, maybe also The Flaming Lips.

Events calendar is here! Adam W designed them, they are various colors. Let’s all hang this stuff up as soon as possible.

Day of Zammuto event: someone(s) can help Mickey with streaming? Daniel Nass will be there!

Record Fair: Virgil is making the event on FB as we speak. [5:52: Virgil has completed the FB event and has invited folks. Check this ya’ll.]

Wesleying Posts for Adam I:

Zammuto Concert on Thursday afternoon (include disclaimer that non-students must register)

Record Fair post later

TuneIn talk (Mickey):

Talks of developing longer-term relationship

How to fix specs: have our events calendar on website? Minimizing ads?

They want to continue to liaise with us — we are guinea pigs for their college programming work (KEXP had a TuneIn banner, which sucks because KEXP rocks)

[I missed the first two paragraphs of this conversation, so it’s not exactly clear what we’re discussing regarding TuneIn]

What relationship ought we to have with corporate entities?

Ben M. says as long as it doesn’t compromise our values, we should have fruitful relationships — insofar as they benefit and do not exploit us.

They don’t seem too displeased with our minimal plugging during Stepkids show.

Ben M. is happy to talk to them? HOW HAPPY ARE YOU, BEN?

Mickey: Katherine, How would you feel about being a TuneIn contact?

Katherine: … [TBD]

If TuneIn needs to know who’s going to be around ASAP, Ben will be around this summer. Otherwise, we’ll wait for the fall to figure this out.

Ben M.: An alternative to the TuneIn service would be to have our own app. Is this feasible?

 

Shelving!

Lee has (finally) agreed to step up and help us with the shelving project, which CC birthed (and strewn with

 

Kathy L has agreed to fund/approve a work-study position! Folding stuff, checking messages, this person will be put to good use and will relieve Ben of administrative, bureaucratic burden.

Development position: Vice President has absorbed development/fundraising duties.

 

Spring Fundraising Campaign:

From what angle should we approach this thang?

Silent pledge drive? Or could we call it a “Freeform Pledge Drive”? In which we have several models to offer our staff, and marketing it to our stakeholders/donors as an effort to be a gentler fundraising — we will interrupt programming as little as possible.

Avery has put together a fundraising draft letter. It resembles a zine.

Other successful tactics: WESU Bunny (if you don’t donate, we’ll kill this adorable radio bunny), etc. Caveat: if this doesn’t work, we’ll have to fall back on heavy on-air promotion.

Still a good idea to pass 3 envelopes on to each DJ, whose job it is to spread among fans/friends/family.

The mailing is going out this week: program guide, Avery’s W-Zine-S-U, and other docs?

Let’s encourage — aka pressure — staff to try and raise $100 particularly if they haven’t raised money before. This is a better way to corral occasional/novice DJ pledgers. “Find three sponsors!”

What would a “WESU Membership” entail? Program guide, something more?

Automatic renewal…targeting parents of students who would be gone after four years. But it is rare for parents to continue donating once their children have graduated.

Special mailings? Other ways to deal with fundraising infrastructurally. Automatic renewal would require a reorientation of thinking about our services and our fundraising programs. Right now our zine and our package focuses on personal touch. Before we go further, we should enlist someone to embark on a longer-term project and do research on fundraising: IZZY! Thanks for volunteering.

Acteva (Activa? Activia?) could include a “do you want to be a return donor?” Yadda, yadda, etc.

 

April 2: Middletown Remix Advisory Committee Meeting at 5 at Nora’s Cupcakes

Unsurprisingly, Mickey volunteers.

Ben M. reminds us that we should be strategizing about next year’s board. Keep eyes and ears open for interest. Let’s bring this up at the next staff meeting, because there are only two meetings left this year.

 

Training starts this Sunday evening. Thursday is a week behind. Five sessions should suffice. (Will it end May 5?) David B will be Sunday instructor. Adam will send out message soliciting staff instructors shortly. DO THIS, YO.

First homework assignment: identify shows whose content you’d like to imitate

Second assignment: Get your hands on an internship

Third assignment: Content/programming review?

Fourth assignment: Record evergreen show?

Code of Conduct needs to be approved by supermajority at staff meeting. In the meantime, Adam can make changes to handbook.

 

DJ Spotlight?


Meeting adjourned.

Board Meeting 03-05-13

F-Bomb dropped on Synthesis. Dave B destroyed them. They were unhappy.
Events with Mickey!
- Ian  – Mickey has a recording to edit into an hour long special to run over spring break. Will send the unedited version to Ian.
Went really well, was very well attended by both Wes and not Wes people.

- Report back to TuneIn on the Stepkids show.

- Need a student opener for Zammuto. Zain doesn’t have demos, the Japanese are also willing. Either way, Neo Sora will be on bass.
- Sent out an email asking for help planning for all the post-break events. Also a meeting to talk about Eclectic’s hosting band.
- Although we don’t actually have the venue confirmed, we’ll hopefully know by tomorrow and possibly by the end of the week. we should try to start promoting asap, maybe come up with a poster before break, Promos can wait till we know where it will be.

- Reach out to press outlets and get us included in calendars.

- Record Fair – need to reach out to food vendors.
- Virgil will come up with posters over break.

- Grateful Dead lecture – April 30th -  sounds amazing

- Boldy James on April 12th, in the WestCo Courtyard
There’s another festival happening in WestCo the next day, we could potentially link our show in with that, depending on how together they really are.

Program Guide should be here at the end of the week! Most will be sent out as part of the “pledge drive.”

WESU should in future be a presenter at IBS, because it is way too corporate right now.

Fundraising Committee met yesterday, decided:
- We will send out packets in the mail. Explore the option of having different personalized packets for different kinds of programming.
- Avery will work on the content over break and then put it on a google doc.
- Emails will be sent out to different groups of people, past donors, alums etc. This will require a lot of data entry, instead of phone banking.

Changes to the Code of Conduct:
- No one has emailed back comments. If we hear back from people before break, we can meet about it the first week after break in time to incorporate it into training and discuss it in the April Break.
- Send out another email with bullet points of changes.

Adam is working on emails to Pangaea and other listservs.

Hartford Advocate – problems with scheduling.
What about taking our own picture? Dave could take it!
A few people could go to Real Artways.

Hugo Chavez died

Facebook consolidation – Some difficulties getting rid of WESU Fm the person, but Virgil will do it on Friday. Need to rethink the way WESU operates on facebook, in connection with the pledge drive. Need to figure out how to get more content creators.
Programming Council – group to listen to shows and offer constructive criticism, possibly suggesting all the first years.

Documenting the reviews could be helpful for training. Critiquing shows used to be part of training.

Staff Meeting 03-03-13

Happy March!

WESU is  No. 1 College Radio Station!
Homegrown is No. 2 Best Show, Rob is No. 3 Best DJ
Email board (at) wesufm (dot) org if you want to come to the photo shoot on Wednesday at 5.

A note: try to keep all staff emails to a minimum, because we have an hourly quota
Email personnel if you can’t make staff meetings (personnel (at) wesufm (dot) org)

Silent Pledge Drive this April, completely through mailings.
Means we need to put together a more personal packet to mail out, we want everyone to put in a lot of effort. Meeting tomorrow at 4 to talk about it, or email Avery or the Board.

Record Fair – Sunday April 7th
Good service hour opportunity. Email events (at) wesufm (dot) org about volunteering.

Board of Directors is mostly seniors so get thinking about running. Email or talk to the board to find out more about what the different positions entail. It is so much fun!

Still looking for someone to lead the initiative to build the new shelving plan. Anyone with carpentry experience please get in touch.

Training will be starting after Spring Break (finishes March 25th)
Looking for two people to help indoctrinate the youth in a good way, will cover all your service hours. Email personnel (at) wesufm (dot) org

If you are a student and want to keep doing your show over break, email Ben. Also check out the sign up sheets if you’re going to be around and want extra air time.

Virgil has finished the program guide – it looks great!

Please vote on the poll about potentially changing the meeting time.

Proposed changes have been made to the Code of Conduct, Avery will be sending them out soon. Please read and respond directly to Avery with thoughts.

DO NOT CURSE ON AIR. There have been incidents of people playing songs with indecent language. This could cost us our license. Please pay attention to what you’re playing.

Stepkids concert went really well, thanks for coming out. The livestreaming was a successful experiment.
Next concert is Zammuto on March 30th, hopefully at Eclectic, we will confirm the venue later this week. Snowblink will be opening.
After that, Boldy James and Gifted H on April 12th.
April 30th, we will be cosponsoring a lecture with a Grateful Dead expert.
Keep spreading the word about our shows!

Might drop our TuneIn sponsorship if we can find money elsewhere so that we can continue to keep the shows free. Waiting to here back from the CFA.

On Wednesday, at 4:30pm Mickey will be hosting a meeting for people interested in learning how to work on concerts in any capacity. Email events (at) wesufm (dot) org.

Our new website is live! Amazing job by Dan. If you have any comments, send them to Dan.

Some board members went to IBS (Inter-Collegiate Broadcasting System) was this weekend.

WESU’s College Radio panel was accepted to Megapolis. They are only covering Avery’s ticket, but if anyone wants to buy a ticket themselves, they can also be on the panel. It’s in New York this year, contact Avery if interested.

Board Meeting Notes 02-26-13

Hartford Advocate Reader’s Poll: WE’RE NO. Photo Shoot! We are bringing Rob because he almost won and he rules. Adrien’s new blond locks will look awesome.

Hopefully after 4.
Props are encouraged.

Synthesis dropped an F-Bomb
What is the protocol for this?
Revise training to emphasize the seriousness of this kind of offense.
Warning is not enough, if you get caught and it is proven, automatic one show suspension. Second offense means being permanently kicked off the station.
Adrien will email the DJs to inform them of their suspension.
Dave will talk to them at the next staff meeting.
Avery will make a general announcement without singling them out.
Mickey’s case will be picked up after break.

Stepkids Wrap-Up
Tune-In wants a re-cap of the promotion we did for them.
Photos on Josh Sharp’s website.
Recordings went well. Streaming went okay until the internet went down at the end. Mickey has now figured out how to stream with or without Tune-In for free on macs.
Pretty good turn-out, maybe next time start it later to attract more students.
Good review on Wesleying.
Some people had to be told to leave the chapel cause they were hanging around too long, but no issues with non-students.
Working with Tune-In was a lot more effort than it was worth, maybe sell tickets in the future so we don’t need to rely on them.
The CFA Music and Public Life people might have money. They would like it to be a mutually beneficial promotion relationship.
They would do a lot of posters and outreach if we put their logo on our poster, and put posters up for other Music and Public Life events. Let them know we need $300 a show to make it free to the public. Possible sticking point might be poster design.
Avery will get back to them and say we approve the collaboration.

Ian  tomorrow!
We’re a little late on the promotion, but a Wesleying post is up, there is a facebook event.

Start thinking about Zammuto.
We have posters, might ask Virgil to make a new one.
I (Katherine) will make a facebook event.
Z and N will send us a demo, other options for openers would be The Japanese

Adrien made Spring Break sign-up sheet, he will post it and send out an email tonight.

The Staff Meeting will still be at 6, we’ll discuss changing that though.

IBS: Start an email thread to talk about transportation.

Pledge Drive: “Silent Pledge Drive” – putting together a really nice packet with pictures, and a very personal appeal and give them to DJs to distribute, mail out to alumni and past donors.
Still an on-air component, but more creative, around the theme of Silent Pledge Drive.
Dave will do product shots with DJs modeling merch.
Extend the length of the pledge drive.
Create a task force to meet sometime next week.

M and I got press passes for SXSW.
They got contacts from Adam and Jesse.
Maybe make a series of 5 to 10 minute spots about bands.
Consider press passes for other music events.
Get drops from bands.

Recruitment events – get in touch with listservs

Virgil did the program guide!

Report from WBAR:
WBAR are like a younger WESU
We are invited to the WBARbeque – Le1f is playing

SUNY New Paltz has an AIM stream on their site?

Grateful Dead expert sounds awesome, he will help make a promo and go on Uncle John’s show.

Need better protocol for different types of promotional relationships.
Anyone who gives us cash should get underwriting treatment.
If we are a sponsor, we need to be getting something out of it.

Eclectic has a hosting ban. Zammuto either needs an exception or we will have to find a new venue, hold off on promos. Mickey will work on this.

Get rid of the Stepkids promo! Let Ben know when you hear an outdated promo, and tell him exactly when you heard it.

NEW WEBSITE IS LIVE AND IT IS SO PRETTY. Dan is amazing. He will clean up a few loose ends.

Accepting suggestions for a cool WESU hand signal.

11-27-12 Board Meeting Notes

WESU Board of Directors Meeting 11-27-12

 

Updates/ Old Business

-Tech stuff: Ben M replaced CD#2 and fixed input and TTs in studio B. Charles fixed TT1 in Studio A.  Ben ordered a new PC per the budget.

 

-The audio archiving Server equipment is here. Charles hooked up audio feed. Need to coordinate network hookup with developer. Can use it as a pitching point for the pledge drive.

-Adam . or BS meet up with the guy?

 

-Mary’s going abroad!!

-We need / VP for Spring… IDEAS? We should send an email hoping to get someone to be elected at meeting on Sunday. They could work with/learn from Mary up through break.

-EP? ER?

-Does this season count a season on air? Up for debate. Could make an exception? Up to the board.

-Arts Council of Greater New Haven: is offering grants to host an arts event in Hartford. Perhaps we could submit a concert proposal. We have a large audience in Hartford, particularly within the Caribbean Community- more on this later.

-One grant for one event that they’ll pick? Need to check out the details.

 

-Middletown remix / to be incorporated as jive sound track… / will change weekly… (Ben M can do this-make a soundtrack for each week)

-Spinitron volunteers?

-Chazelle is doing F and D!

-need strategies to do spinitron for automated shows (talk about at staff meeting); can offer this opportunity to trainees

-Pledge drive (Next Week AAACK!) (**WSHU Pledge drive will be stepping on our toes Dec 1-10!)

-Ben M working on letter – hope to get it printed and start folding tomorrow (trainees can come in and fold)

-Ben M working on finalizing premium offerings and donation levels for our donation form and online system.

-A QR code that takes people to the donation webpage

-Virgil: turn mailing into press release, this appeal letter can be modified into a press release. We need to get this to Middletown Eye, Middletown Patch, Wesleying, Argus, and Wesleyan Connection.

-Avery has written a letter to alumni and it will go to 500+ alumni out sometime between now and next Monday

-phone schedule- needs to be created and coordinated MARY!!!!!

-Dougie B! on air! Sat Dec 8 during Car Talk!

-premiums (use “Heist: Who Stole the American Dream” as a premium-for $35); long sleeve, new t-shirt, hoodies ($75) – $88.1 gets you a t-shirt and a hoody- in the future, figure out from a bank who their contact is for community supports

-next time: make a list of what WESU does for the community; matching donations from banks or lawyers possibly (but really we should check out money from doctors/dentists/bars/liquor stores/Metro)

-Textile Graphic talk! We picked T-Shirt Number 4!!!!!, Shirt design, and Hoody design (design 1 wins!!!!!) and colors (black hoody with white lettering)

-T-Shirt colors will be Brown ink “natural” off white?

 

-Agenda for Sunday meeting:

next year board positions

Need a VP

Sunday staff meeting agenda

Pledge drive Phones / promos / helping with other shows/ resources/ online donor system

 

-Film screenings: Mike  wants to co-host political documentary series; screen “Heist” and Avery’s documentary that she knows about

-outdoor movie showing (against the CFA)

 

-Concert Series:

-Concert Committee was “decidedly chill and supportive,” Zammuto (of the Books) is probably going to happen, 60 percent chance of Jeff from Neutral Milk Hotel (already sold out in Hartford, talk to Manic Productions-Feb. 7th/11th), Sidewalk Dave and Gifted Higgs both coming for 200 dollars each, Stepkids accepted for $1,500 but Concert Committee wants to offer $1,200 (dates? January/February-Jesse will ask for late February); Boldy wants $1,200 and CC will only give us a $1,000 (so WESU needs to front $500 total-could take out of new music budget, could charge public entry, could use record fair money, Colin Stetson (only available May 7th-the Tuesday before Spring Fling-we in?? sure.)

 

-Redesigning Website and moving everything over to wordpress (new.wesufm.org is the sample-check it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

 

-Interview with Sidewalk Dave

-he offered to play a free show before the concert series at Jesse’s house possibly open to the board

 

-thanks adrien for showing up!

11-14-12 Board Meeting Notes

Board Meeting 11-13-12

THANKS FOR TAKING NOTES ADAM W.!!!!!!!

  • Will we meet next week?
    • Avery to send out an email asking everyone
  • Pledge drive
    • We need a successful pledge drive
    • Ben will take care of mailing stuff
    • Next meeting after break we will do stamping, folding, etc.
    • Pre-pledge solicitation
      • Ben’s idea of soliciting pledges before the pledge drive (e.g., sending flyers to students, families, etc., and pushing for off air pledge solicitation)
    • Old flyer from WESU magazine – Virgil will change adapt it to our current pledge drive
      • Ideally would be done before Thanksgiving
    • Doug B agreed to blurb about the pledge drive during Car Talk
    • Things to do for the pledge drive:
      • take care of binders for premiums and scripts and the telephone schedule
  • Meeting next week
    • Video shoot Monday, 4:30, convening in front of Pi Cafe
    • Maybe board meeting can be after the shoot?
  • Moving of Broad Street Books
    • Meeting November 27 at 4:30
    • Board meeting before the pledge drive is the same day
    • Virgil will be the board delegate to this meeting
    • Building will be going up near Pearl Street and Washington Street, across from St. Sebastian’s Church
    • Mickey says that the new development would not be an ideal placement for WESU because of the distance
    • Plan does not include moving WESU at the moment but there is uncertainty as to the future of 45 Broad Street
      • Dave says “this building has a real stink on it” and feels that Wesleyan would be more inclined to sell it, parking would be inconvenient/congested in that area (because it already is)
    • Issue of line-of-sight to Exley
    • Virgil asks if he should talk to people in the Argus to see what they are thinking about the move and if they’re sending delegates to the meeting
    • If anyone has questions for Virgil to ask at the meeting, send them to him (he will send the board an email requesting questions/comments/concerns)
    • Mickey is not against leaving 45 Broad Street but he is against moving farther away
    • Rick says there has been no discussion of moving WESU, and if the radio station had to move, the radio station would not likely be placed in this new development
  • MTV U shoot on Monday
  • Lecture series
    • Avery thanks everyone for their help with the lecture series
    • Avery sent links to the people who run iTunes U for us but the lectures are not up yet
    • Dave says that we should make an outline of planning the event so that we have a checklist of what to do in planning the lecture series so that we don’t forget how to plan
      • Avery says she’ll make the list of what to do
  • Concert series meeting: today, 6:45 p.m.
  • Code of Conduct revisions
    • Staff have expressed interest in making changes to the code of conduct
    • Avery would like to open the discussion of revisions
    • Avery thinks she’ll be taking comments on the code-of-conduct via email rather than discussing it at an all staff meeting
    • Then, a google doc will be created for the board to look at/revise
  • Training
    • Tips and Tricks session
      • Who’s going to do it? When will it be?
    • Service hour opportunities: Dan said that he had interns who were uncertain about service hour opportunities
      • Adam W. said that he encouraged them to email the music directors; Jesse and Adam I. said they’ve had many helpful interns
    • Confusing questions in the test:
      • E.g., the training guide says that excessive self promotion is forbidden in the code of conduct but it is not actually in the code of conduct
      • Mickey discussed the complications surrounding Wesleyan-exclusive shows, especially in light of the concert series we’re planning next semester (or in plugging one’s own website)
        • Adrien says that it is not part of WESU’s identity in light of our mission to serve the community and it alienates listeners
        • Rick says that broadcasting anything exclusive, from inside jokes to inside promotions, alienates listeners; this problem has always been an issue, from before Ben and Rick’s time
        • Test question about what can and can’t be said on the air
          • Mickey says the question should be made more clear
        • A and M discuss calls to action in terms of DJs doing self-promotion and what qualifies as excessive self-promotion
      • Other issues in the training guide addressed in amendments
      • Revising the test: Mickey and Adam W. will do it minimally but keep the thought-provoking questions that engage with issues DJs will actually be grappling with while on air
      • Discussion of self-promotion:
        • Avery suggests amending the code of conduct to say that excessive self-promotion is frowned upon without exactly enumerating it and DJs who are blatantly using the station for self-promotion risk their status as DJs in good standing
          • Mickey suggests placing it in Section E of the code-of-conduct and making it a flexible discussion if it gets out of hand
        • Dave, Rick and Adrien mention people who have gotten talking to’s or removals for being too self-serving or too self-promoting

-T-shirt design

-Alex has designs (but hasn’t sent them yet)

-Garren’s design

-Virgil’s design

-Ben’s design

-color combination

-wants a hoodie (thing that’s on the sticker) or (80s basketball logo) (vinyl logo)

-VOTE: Garren: 0 James: 1 Virgil: 6 Ben: 3 (Elevated U: 3, Scattered: 3, Compass: 4)

 

-Music purchasing reminder!

-use part of $2,000 we can have for music purchasing for CMJ (only do this if the person that goes and makes contacts, blog-Virgil awkwardly hand motions his respect)

 

-Spinitron

-figure out who’s not doing spinitron (MDs-can ask Adam W. to email trainees to help staff who can’t use spinitron)

-can send out an email-if you need help doing spinitron someone can do it for you and get service hours

 

-Promos for Pledge Drive (trainees do it-Adam W. email them and say this is an option and have trainees email Isabelle if they’re interested)

-Pledge Drive:

-“selling songs” it’s a tactic that works (incorporate this into the script)

-MARY’S JOB TO MAKE BINDER

 

 

11-06-12 Board Meeting Notes

11-6-12
WESU Board Meeting Agenda
-Ben looks like he spent a vacation in the south of France

-Door propage/vandalism
-need to alert staff (get across that we were vandalized because someone propped the door open, be on top of door openings, make sure you call PSafe at the end of the night)
-mailbox ripped open
-contacted D and B on Friday nights to see if they had guests; they both said they didn’t come through the front door
-the last DJs didn’t call PSafe when they were vacating the premises

-Record Fair Thanks Mickey!!!!!!! “I thought we were over that” -Mickey
-$885 total take for the Fall Record Fair (down about $100 due to Sandy)
-Silent auction wrap-up? $25 dollars from the station
-Lee would really like us to pick a Spring date so he can follow up with vendors and book them now.
Either Saturday April 13 or Saturday the 27th (Sunday of WesFest? Would be bad to have it during Zonker, MICKEY TALK TO LEE!)
-Need to get rec fair stuff in studio x straightened out. Perhaps consolidate? Donate classical to goodwill? Make it so someone can get out of the elevator if need be.

-MTVU update
-MTVU: Monday November 19th, 4:30 pm, whoever can come, come!

-Instagram
-take pictures of what’s going on at the station
-Virgil will start an account (after he cleans up the Facebook-by combining the page and the place)
-everyone will be able to contribute to this (send out password to staff VIRGIL)

-Our website
-add an events link
-MD could have their own blog
-add a right column with an events calendar
-list of other posts could be on the right
-Adam W. savvy with web skill/Dan N.
-START UP A TASK FORCE!

-Studio reservation board Can we refine this process?
- Suggestion to add a special color for recurring weekly reservations
- add a color – code/instructions next to board (Virgil’s doing it)
-designate a color for the weekly ones (black)-email board and let them know if you want us to reserve your space
-Virgil will email the staff with the final rules of the system
- Reminder to board members to make sure dates have been updated during board hours

Lecture series… GREAT JOB SO FAR!
-Any talk about his help for our pledge drives? Avery will email with him
-Could get Wait, Wait if we find a place in our lineup
-How many in audience?
-We should get lecture series videos on university archive/media itunes U (university content). Email Jen Carlstrom (Avery’s looking into it)
-videos from first two lectures on YouTube and the website
-HELP AVERY POSTER!
-Virgil will make FB event for Lynn tonight
-Ian Mackaye is into coming actually (Concert Committee is agreeing to pay $1,000 for it); Frank into working with us to do this

-Training
-there are differences between what’s on the test and what’s in the training guide (thanks Mickey!)
-Adam (Avery will talk to him): make an addendum to training guide with these answers
-testing takes place after Thanksgiving
-butt-ton of trainees

-WESU concerts series?
-can have anywhere open to the public!!!!!!!!!!!
-lots of places are free, Beckham is probably the most expensive (could be backup space for a concert in the CFA green)
-if have concerts in a space connected with residential halls, need to hire security staff
-Higgs, Mara, Sidewalk Dave in. Mr. Muthafukin eXquire-all three have replied saying he’s available (3-5,000), Foxygen (5,000-said come in April or potentially before their tour)
*start talking to the Concert Committee (Mickey can email about intentions, Jesse and Mickey will go to Concert Committee on Sunday)
-Mary email saying Concert Series taskforce after next week’s meeting (6:45)
-check out Red and Black open mic (check out if there are openers that are good, talk to Rob, tap into something that’s already set up and in the works)

-Code of conduct
-ask staff for feedback
-Mikey’s suggestions re testing

-CD – shelving project
-Have someone manage it (Avery will email staff to see if anyone wants to help with the carpentry aspect)-good service opportunity for trainees

-Music purchasing –
-Adam and Jesse-email staff for suggestions (Chazelle suggested more Jamaican music)
-use some of this money ($2K) for next year’s CMJ delegates?

-Middletown remix
-How can we get DJs to play Middletown remix sounds? In jive (want us to play our featured sounds of the week)? Maybe cut sandwiching shows before and after the Jive (DJs might have a hard time with this)? Weekly PSA?
-May 11 event? Can we broadcast sound track to flash mob (sound could be coming from boom boxes tuned into WESU-this was pitched over air already without our approval. Not cool. We can’t make that commitment today)?

-T-Shirt designs
-two t-shirt designs only (type club and sz)
-Avery will email staff saying submit design by next board meeting
-talk to the type club with critique

-Pledge drive is one month away! Time to get started pulling this together.
-Need to decide on premiums
-Need to get mailing ready to go out in advance
-Phone schedule (trainee svc hr opp)
-matching donors?
-Doug Berman? Customized Recorded pitches for WESU from him and Car Talk crew? Live would be amazing!
-pledge drive taskforce (VP and P-brunch!!!!-plus Virgil)
-Sponsoring of Atlas Sound (running a promo, make it open to the public, throw our name on it, work as a test run of what it’d be like to be promoting a show through the station without a lot of work on our part): Cool! Dylan is down (tickets $10 for non-students? We can’t run promos for a for-profit event unless we’re benefiting from it-10% could go to us, other options)-Dan’s on the bill!!!!!!!!!!

11-04-12 Staff Meeting Notes

11/04/12 Staff Meeting Notes

-Quick meeting! Yay!

-Congrats! Record Fair went pretty well, especially considering the Sandy storm warnings.

-Congrats on WESU lecture series! Doug B interview was filmed.

-hang up posters for Lynn Levy (this Thursday at 8pm); feel free to think of questions related to RadioLab

-PSA and Promo folder-click promo-then priority and play the Lynn Levy promotion!

-Concert series in the spring:

-CMJ: J and A talked to some acts about coming here in the spring. Talking with concert committee to get money.

-Keep checking out middletownremix.org

-Play promos for Music in Public Life

-Thanks to everyone who participated in the homelessness marathon

-MTVU video-delayed because director is working on a senior film thesis (talking with MTV tomorrow to see if we can extend the deadline)

-Training: email Adam if you have a service hour idea (have a trainee help you with spinitron); look out for interns soon.

-Spinitron! We are required to report the music we are playing. Please keep your playlists updated.

-required to update your playlist within an hour after the show (unless computer is down at the station, you then have 24 hrs)

-TuneIn: new streaming service. Mobile app. Search any song and find a college radio station that has played it. We potentially have thousands of listeners in Japan every 90 days.

-spinitron only updates if you’re recording the spinitron info while live on air. Work with spinitron to adjust this, fine tune our settings to make sure everything (i.e. playlists made before show, streaming talks, etc.) entered in spinitron is displayed (in general and in terms of TuneIn)

-Audio archiving system should be delivered this week. Up and running soon!

-Mary is leaving to go abroad so need a new VP (email mtbarrett@wesleyan.edu with questions. board@wesufm.org is interested) VP works with budget and takes notes. Must be a student.
-Updating the Code of Conduct-email atrufelman@wesleyan.edu or president@wesufm.org if interested in contributing to this process.

-White board where people schedule studio time: marker color change system established (use the appropriate color for the appropriate week as labeled by Virgil on the white board).

-Let us know if you feel the new system doesn’t work.

-Pledge drive: December 3rd-December 10th  (good service hour opportunity-answering phones)

-Next meeting (December 2nd)

10-30-12 Board Meeting Notes

Board Notes 10/30/12

-Doug B

-David B will tell blogs that he knows

-Virgil will make a post on the website tonight

-play PSA

-EVERYONE: hang up posters, invite people on facebook, check email during the day

-Adam looks like Ashitaka

-Adam will post on Wesleying

-office: in Albo

-reserved seats?

-Mickey: email the staff (including the PDF)

-Dinner: somewhere? Some time? Invite non-board members potentially.

-money from SALD for food??

 

-Lynn Levy

-Virgil makes a weird noise.

-Isabelle: make a PSA for Lynn

-Promote! Promote!

 

-TuneIn is sending us hoodies!

 

-MTVU-next semester??

 

-Record Fair: YAY MICKEY! Whey Station came last minute. Mamouns came instead (upset with the amount of people buying falafel)

-schedule DJs

 

-Concert series: can stream via tunein? Feel weird promoting listening something other than what’s playing over the WESU airwaves. Link it on our website (not make it obvious that it’s via TuneIn) Talk about it later.

-when talking to a band’s agent, don’t rattle off any specific numbers because a verbal contract is binding in CT (talk to Mickey before)

 

-Next semester’s board???

 

-Next year’s board:

-Ethan H (freshman-Music Director); Matt F (transfer sophomore-Music Director); Alex G (junior-Music Director); Eliza

 

-Promoting Atlas Sound? It’s in the Chapel so it’s open to the public. Mickey possibly recording it.

 

-Training Manual: everyone take a serious gander!!! Use it starting next season for training.

-Staff meeting on Sunday:

-updates about the record fair, training, Lynn Levy, Ilya and Doug, concert series taskforce announcement, remind people to sign up to host interns, service hours for recording shows